oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Campbell Family?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

buteman

Does anyone know if any of the Campbell family (Balmoral Hotel/Campbell's Garage, Rostrevor) are still the area? They are relatives I haven't seen since the 50's and have often wondered about them.

dukestreet

Some of the family are living in Warrenpoint, and some are living Rostrevor.
Colin is actually in the photo of St. Peters in 1962.

buteman

Thanks for that! I'm glad to hear that there are still some of the family around. My father was the late Rose Campbell nee Mulholland whose father, Hugh Mulholland owned the Balmoral and previously the Seaview Hotel. Uncle Hugh was also a J.P. in the area from the 20's to the early 50's. My Dad, also Hugh visited Warrenpoint every summer with his mother, Mary Mulholland who hailed from Jonesborough. We spent a lovely few weeks in the area in 1959 and as a family have often thought of our holiday. We left for Canada in the early 60's and when my father died in 1970 we lost contact.
The Campbells were a large family and Colin and Colleen were the youngest and therefore closest to my age. The new garage was still being built in Rostrevor and Colin and I had great fun playing in the builders sand. Unfortunately it had a red dye in it and we ended up like red indians! much to the anger of the grown-ups.
I also recall the lovely wee trips across the Loch to Omeath. We used to take a Jaunting Car out to the little grotto or we'd go to the big cafe and have ice-cream. Things like tobacco etc., seemed to be cheaper in Eire.
Is the swimming pool still open? I have a lovely picture of my dad sitting on the wall opposite it around the late 20's My cousin Marie used to take me every day 'on her season ticket'!
I recall the old Belmont Cinema round the back of the Balmoral. It was pretty run down but good fun.

buteman

Ooops..sorry, my Dad was the COUSIN of Rose Campbell! Excitement has the better of me!

Admin

The swimming pool is not a swimming pool any more. The building is still there, but a number of years ago it was filled in and used as a "boating pool" its life since then has been patchy, it was used as a store for windsurfing and is now used in the summer by the east coast adventure centre as a base.

We wait with baited breath to see what will become of our "great white elephant" Rolling Eyes There has been much talk for years about meetings to decide its fate, but I don't know if anything has been done recently.

Oh, and the little pool in omeath is also long gone.

dukestreet

I don't recall a Colleen Campbell, but I could be wrong. Do you not mean Patti Campbell (Patricia) I thought she was the youngest girl, she is married to Noel McKinley and they live up the Gas Road. As for the older girl Marie she lives in Rostrevor, and is married to Maurice Burns. Maurice is in the photo in the other section on this site, named 'Chilling at the Huts.' I believe he is an illustrator of childrens books.
The Campbell family have the dealership for Citroen cars in their Rostrevor Garage and showroom, (I think its Citroen.) I could be corrected here.
As for the cinema you talk about when you holidayed here in the 60's was it not the Foy Cinema?
The Balmoral Hotel has changed hands now, and it has extended to encompass the old Foy Cinema, and gone upwards as well.
Maybe Brian could post a photo of the present Balmoral, contrasted to the one your relatives owned.
Why don't you post your photo onto this site.

dukestreet

I have bumped into Colin Campbell twice over the weekend, and told him about your requests to make contact. I have not seen that guy in years.
He said he will try and get on the site, but he is not au fait with computers, I can sympathise with him on that point.
He inferred he would hijack one of his kids to help him.

buteman

Well friends this is wonderful news indeed. And yes, Patricia is the name of Colin's sister...it's amazing how one's memory fades after nearly 50 years.!!!! Last night I told my brother about this site and he was very excited about it and promises to join too. I'm really pleased also that Colin might be able to look in too. I shall certainly be putting some pictures up including one of the Balmoral as it looked in my time. They were a really nice family and were very kind to us on that one and only trip in 1959. And yes, it was the FOY cinema!!! Where did I get the Belmont??? I think there's a Belmont in Glasgow??
It's nice to know where Marie is. Last I heard was she was in London. I really am greatful to you all..THANKS!

dukestreet

I really would like to see your photos of a bygone era in Warrenpoint's history. Keep them coming.
I am sure it will only be a matter of time before you make contact with the Campbell family.

Post subject: Re: The Campbell Family?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:02 pm 

Brian wrote:
buteman

Does anyone know if any of the Campbell family (Balmoral Hotel/Campbell's Garage, Rostrevor) are still the area? They are relatives I haven't seen since the 50's and have often wondered about them.

dukestreet

Some of the family are living in Warrenpoint, and some are living Rostrevor.
Colin is actually in the photo of St. Peters in 1962.

buteman

Thanks for that! I'm glad to hear that there are still some of the family around. My father was the late Rose Campbell nee Mulholland whose father, Hugh Mulholland owned the Balmoral and previously the Seaview Hotel. Uncle Hugh was also a J.P. in the area from the 20's to the early 50's. My Dad, also Hugh visited Warrenpoint every summer with his mother, Mary Mulholland who hailed from Jonesborough. We spent a lovely few weeks in the area in 1959 and as a family have often thought of our holiday. We left for Canada in the early 60's and when my father died in 1970 we lost contact.
The Campbells were a large family and Colin and Colleen were the youngest and therefore closest to my age. The new garage was still being built in Rostrevor and Colin and I had great fun playing in the builders sand. Unfortunately it had a red dye in it and we ended up like red indians! much to the anger of the grown-ups.
I also recall the lovely wee trips across the Loch to Omeath. We used to take a Jaunting Car out to the little grotto or we'd go to the big cafe and have ice-cream. Things like tobacco etc., seemed to be cheaper in Eire.
Is the swimming pool still open? I have a lovely picture of my dad sitting on the wall opposite it around the late 20's My cousin Marie used to take me every day 'on her season ticket'!
I recall the old Belmont Cinema round the back of the Balmoral. It was pretty run down but good fun.

buteman

Ooops..sorry, my Dad was the COUSIN of Rose Campbell! Excitement has the better of me!

Admin

The swimming pool is not a swimming pool any more. The building is still there, but a number of years ago it was filled in and used as a "boating pool" its life since then has been patchy, it was used as a store for windsurfing and is now used in the summer by the east coast adventure centre as a base.

We wait with baited breath to see what will become of our "great white elephant" Rolling Eyes There has been much talk for years about meetings to decide its fate, but I don't know if anything has been done recently.

Oh, and the little pool in omeath is also long gone.

dukestreet

I don't recall a Colleen Campbell, but I could be wrong. Do you not mean Patti Campbell (Patricia) I thought she was the youngest girl, she is married to Noel McKinley and they live up the Gas Road. As for the older girl Marie she lives in Rostrevor, and is married to Maurice Burns. Maurice is in the photo in the other section on this site, named 'Chilling at the Huts.' I believe he is an illustrator of childrens books.
The Campbell family have the dealership for Citroen cars in their Rostrevor Garage and showroom, (I think its Citroen.) I could be corrected here.
As for the cinema you talk about when you holidayed here in the 60's was it not the Foy Cinema?
The Balmoral Hotel has changed hands now, and it has extended to encompass the old Foy Cinema, and gone upwards as well.
Maybe Brian could post a photo of the present Balmoral, contrasted to the one your relatives owned.
Why don't you post your photo onto this site.

dukestreet

I have bumped into Colin Campbell twice over the weekend, and told him about your requests to make contact. I have not seen that guy in years.
He said he will try and get on the site, but he is not au fait with computers, I can sympathise with him on that point.
He inferred he would hijack one of his kids to help him.

buteman

Well friends this is wonderful news indeed. And yes, Patricia is the name of Colin's sister...it's amazing how one's memory fades after nearly 50 years.!!!! Last night I told my brother about this site and he was very excited about it and promises to join too. I'm really pleased also that Colin might be able to look in too. I shall certainly be putting some pictures up including one of the Balmoral as it looked in my time. They were a really nice family and were very kind to us on that one and only trip in 1959. And yes, it was the FOY cinema!!! Where did I get the Belmont??? I think there's a Belmont in Glasgow??
It's nice to know where Marie is. Last I heard was she was in London. I really am greatful to you all..THANKS!

dukestreet

I really would like to see your photos of a bygone era in Warrenpoint's history. Keep them coming.
I am sure it will only be a matter of time before you make contact with the Campbell family.

Mrs Rose Campbell only died last night/this morning RIP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 pm 

You where looking to hear about the campbell family, the eldest of the family was Marie, then Ann, followed by Una, the paddy (patricia) and finally Colin, I am Ann's daughter she married Dominic McCartan who is, funnily enough, from the same area as great granda Hugh Mullholland, we lived out there for a number of years but now live in Warrenpoint, Maire is married to Maurice Burns and he is a writer living in Rostrevor, Una married an english guy they now live in the south of France, Paddy as you know is married Noel Mckinley and colin is also married and living in Rostrevor. Marie asked me to find out if you are Craig, if so she remembers you well she thinks she has a photo of your father and Hugh outside the belview hotel do you think that could be right. I would be great to here more from you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:44 pm 

nicolamck - would you mind giving my regards to your
Aunt Marie. We were in school together and had some
fun playing together after school.
It has been a long time since I've seen her.

Maureen Magill (nee Mackrell)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:31 am 

Of course I will, I will be talking to her today, Would you be anything to Janet Sloan (nee Mackrell) I would be friendly with her our kids go to the same school together.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:59 am 

Some background information about the Campbell family :-
Cameron George 7/4/1865 John Cath. McAleavey V.R.Births Warrenpoint
Campbell Alexander Griffiths Val Sea View
Campbell Alice 4/10/1867 John Mary McGee V.R.Births Warrenpoint
Campbell Bernard 5/12/1866 Edward Alice Smith IGI Warrenpoint
Campbell Cherry c1811 IGI Clonallan
Campbell Daniel 20/1/1871 Mary Campbell V.R.Births Warrenpoint
Campbell Emily 30/3/1874 Alex.Flem. Emily Jane Roe
Campbell Fanny Mrs c1773 IGI Clonallan
Campbell Frances Irish Wills c1832 Warrenpoint
Campbell Francis 13/8/1864 John Mary Magee IGI Warrenpoint
Campbell Hugh 27/3/1871 Alex. Flem Emily Jane Roe V.R.Births Warrenpoint
Campbell Hugh Griffiths Val Dromore
Campbell Hugh Griffiths Val Church Street
Campbell Hugh Griffiths Val Thomas Street
Campbell Isabella c1819 IGI Clonallan
Campbell Isabella 1911Census 34, Sea View
Campbell James c1820 IGI Narrow Water
Campbell James 4/6/1869 Terence Bridget Fegan V.R.Births Warrenpoint
Campbell James Griffiths Val East Street
Campbell John 17/11/1872 Marg. Campbell V.R.Births Warrenpoint
Campbell male 16/5/1874 Patrick Cath. Grant
Campbell Margaret 31/8/1872 Alex. Flem. Emily Jane Roe V.R.Births Warrenpoint
Campbell Mary c1812 IGI Clonallan
Campbell Mary c1803 IGI Clonallan
Campbell Mary c1797 IGI Clonallan
Campbell Mary 15/5/1867 James Mary Hughes IGI Clonallan
Campbell Mary 1911Census 23, Sea View Ho.
Campbell Mrs Dir 1910 Rosetta
Campbell Peter c1809 IGI Clonallan
Campbell S. Dir 1910 Dromore Lodge
Campbell Sarah c1801 IGI Clonallan
Campbell Sarah c1778 IGI Narrow Water
Campbell Susana c1807 IGI Clonallan
Campbell Terrence c1786 IGI Clonallan
Campbell W. Farrier Dir 1910 Warrenpoint
Campbell William c1799 IGI Narrow Water
Campbell William c1789 IGI Clonallan
Campbell William 13/6/1865 Hugh Eliza. Higgins V.R.Births Warrenpoint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:16 pm 

nicolamck- Is Raymond her father?
We are 1st cousins.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:02 am 

Yes he is I was speaking with her yesterday and she didn't know if she had any cousins or not but her father is raymond, it is a very small world

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:52 am 

nicolamck - My father and Raymond's father were brothers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This photo was given to me by Bernie Stewart on behalf of Craig McDonald

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:43 pm 

Lovely photo of the Campbell family.
That's Marie, Ann and I think the little
one might be Una.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:13 pm 

My goodness, I have unfortunately been ill and haven't been on the site for ages and lo and behold, communication at last from the Campbell family. Nicola, my brother's name is Craig, I am Jack, the younger of the two although at 58 the word, 'younger' hardly fits! I remember Marie, Ann, Una, Colin and Patricia very well. Our one and only trip took place is 1959 and Craig and I still talk about it. Craig has two children, Christine (24) and Craig Jnr (21). I have one, David (37). I live on a small island called Bute about six miles from the mainland on the River Clyde. Craig lives in the town of Gourock not terribly far from where he was born. We are both retired. I have been looking through my old photographs and have found one or two which I will certainly post asap.

Once again, it's great to hear from some of the family. Please give them all my very best.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:28 pm 

Aunt Rose sent this to my Mother and Father in Canada around 1967.

Attachments:
File comment: Balmoral Hotel 1967
balmoral_hotel1967b copy.jpg
balmoral_hotel1967b copy.jpg [ 103.16 KiB | Viewed 4574 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:33 pm 

Hi can you help with the Campbell Family River St Newry, my wife was born in Newry her father was Michael (one of his brothers was Edward a post man) his father was John 1892 (a plumber) his father was Thomas 1869 his father was John 1839, I am stuck there but family stories say that john father was the son of Hugh Campbell the Quarry owner. please help. Jim :genius: