oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:54 pm 

hi all, peter blanche here from liverpool.
i have re-edited my posting as i believe it may have been a little confusing so iwill try again
i am trying to find some information on my grandmothers ancestors who came from the warrenpoint area.
my grandmothers marriage name was elizabeth blanche, her maiden name was ohare. she was born in liverpool
in 1880 to my greatgrandmother and father michael and elizabeth ohare [formerly mcvey] who came from warrenpoint
and set up home in liverpool and raised a family.the only information i have regarding the warrenpoint connection is a
old baptismal certificate which states that my greatgrandmother elizabeth mcvey was born of john mcvey and elizabeth
mckiverigan in 1837 at saint peters church warrenpoint it would seem that she was born out of wedlock. however, it seems that
they would never marry because five years later in 1842 sees a marriage between elizabeth mckiverigan and james mcveagh.
note the different spelling of mcveagh. the marriage took place at clonallon catholic church and the witness for james mcveagh
was james kelly,while the witness for the wife was hugh mcateer. finally, regarding the ohare side of the family we know
absolutely nothing about them we believe he was born sometime in 1836 or so and his fathers name was also michael.
so if any descendants of any of the above can shed some light we would be eternally grateful.
ps...i understand from what my now deceased cousin told me that when he was a child in the 1930s my grandmother would
take him over to warrenpoint to relatives who had a farm or smallholding or such like. once again any information however
small would help with the family tree we are trying to build. cheers.........peter blanche.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm 
VIP
VIP

peter blanche wrote:
clonallon catholic church

Where is this? It must be St.Peters....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:47 pm 

hi congo! as far as my information goes the address is simply clonallon roman catholic church,newry and mourne,
clonallon,warrenpoint,county down.i got this info from ancestry ireland a genealogical site.it is supposed to be extracted from
a marriage certificate.the other information that i have is in the form ofa baptismal certificate which is headed
st peters parochial church warrenpoint and it states that elizabeth mcvey of john mcvey and elizabeth mckiverigan was baptised this day 15th july 1837.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:44 pm 

peter blanche wrote:
the other information that i have is in the form ofa baptismal certificate which is headed
st peters parochial church warrenpoint and it states that elizabeth mcvey of john mcvey and elizabeth mckiverigan was baptised this day 15th july 1837.

I wonder if Elizabeth's name is mis-spelt also & might possibly be McGivern, which is a well known name in this area? If you have her marriage cert, are the names of Elizabeth & her father also written as "McKiverigan"?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:13 pm 

hi born,n,bred, the answer to your question is yes the fathers name is also spelt mckiverigan
thanks for your input........peter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm also wondering about the McVey spelling.... the alternative McVeagh can also be written McVeigh if you assume people wrote names down as they sounded phonetically. I know it may widen/confuse the search but it's worth checking. Also, on Clonallon, its worth noting that St Mary's in Burren that opened in 1833 was also known as the Parish Church of Clonallon.

http://www.lisburn.com/books/dromore-diocese/parish-stmarys-clonallon.html

So in this case, I would imagine that would be the church in question and not the church of Ireland at Clonallon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:41 pm 

hi brian, i take your point on the spellings of mcvey. we also have a problem with this. ie, some of our documents
are spelt mcvey whilst others are mcveigh or possibly mcveagh this i think comes about by the literate ability of the people of the past ,they may have allowed learned people to fill in forms ie doctors lawyers priests etc who have interpreted the
spellings has they saw fit. this may not be the case ,but we will adhere to mcveigh for the time being
anyway,thanks for the interest brian .........peter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:18 pm 
VIP
VIP

Brian wrote:
So in this case, I would imagine that would be the church in question and not the church of Ireland at Clonallon.

Thanks for that Brian.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:53 pm 

Hi Beter

McKiverigan is a valid name for County Down - current holders live around the Banbridge and Lough Kernan (Gilford) areas of County Down, as did their ancestors - please see the GenesReunited website [url]http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/url] - use the Search Trees option, enter McKiverigan as surname, Ireland/Down as birthplace.

I echo Brian's point about Clonallon RC Parish Church - the following text may clarify which church is which:

"CLONALLON, a parish, in the barony of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles ( S. S. E.) from Newry ; containing, with the town and district parish of Warrenspoint 8630 inhabitants.

This parish is situated on the bay of Carlingford, by which it is bounded on the south and west, and on the road from Newry to Rosstrevor, and comprises according to the Ordnance survey, l l,658¼ statute acres, of which about 200 acres are woodland, 150 bog, 200 mountain (including about 100 acres of bog on the summit), and 173½ under water ; of the remainder, nearly two-thirds are arable and one-third pasture. A very extensive and lucrative oyster fishery is carried on, employing a great number of boats, and herrings are occasionally taken in large quantities.

The gentlemen's seats are Narrow Water House, the residence of R. Hall, Esq., a splendid mansion of hewn granite quarried upon the estate, and built in the Elizabethan style ; Drumaul Lodge, that of James Robinson, Esq.; and Clonallon House, that of the Rev. J. Davis.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Dromore, united by charter of the 7th of Jas. I. to the rectory of Drumgath, together constituting the union of Clonallon and the corps of the chancellorship of Dromore, in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £450, and the gross annual value of the benefice, tithe, and glebe included, is £961. 10s. The parish church is a very ancient edifice in good repair, and a church has been recently erected at Warrenspoint, which has been made a district curacy. The glebe-house is situated on a glebe of 190 acres of profitable land, valued at £339. l0s, per annum. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recommended the dissolution of the union on the next avoidance, leaving Clonallon alone as the corps of the chancellorship.

The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of time Established Church ; there are three chapels, situated respectively at Mayo, Burn, and Warrenspoint."

Note that an Elizabeth McKiverigan also married in 1833, but to an entirely different spouse. Finally, the 1881 UK Census gives the following information:

Michael O'Hare, Elizabeth and their children living at 35 Darwen Street, Liverpool. Michael's occupation is Labourer, and both he and Elizabeth have "Down County, Ireland" as a place of birth and are aged 35 (meaning both were born around 1846). Were these were your ancestors? Their children at this time are as follows:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation
Michael O HARE Head M Male 35 Down Co, Ireland Labourer
Elizabeth O HARE Wife M Female 35 Down Co, Ireland
John O HARE Son Male 7 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Scholar
Thomas O HARE Son Male 5 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Scholar
Mary C. O HARE Daur Female 2 Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Elizabeth O HARE Daur Female 4m Liverpool
(William O BRIEN Boarder U Male 15 Down Co, Ireland Shop Boy)

Michael isn't traceable in the 1891 Census, however the 1901 Census gives the following information:

Surname Forename Age Relation Occupation Birth Place Address
Ohare Michael 52 Head Ships Water Man -, Ireland 33 Harcourt Street, Kirkdale
Ohare Eliza 50 Wife -, Ireland 33 Harcourt Street, Kirkdale
Ohare Thomas 25 Son General Labourer Liverpool, Lancashire 33 Harcourt Street, Kirkdale
Ohare Elizabeth 20 Daughter Confectioner Liverpool, Lancashire 33 Harcourt Street, Kirkdale

Note that according to this Michael was born in 1849 and Eliza in 1851, howeverThomas and Elizabeth's ages seem to match the 1881 data.

Hope this helps
Regards
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:09 pm 

Jim, u are fantastic...do u do this for a living ? mite just send you some of my own details and see what you come up with....very impressive work :-):-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:14 pm 

Brenda

Aw shucks :') :') I've spent the last couple of years researching my family tree so I guess I know a bit about where stuff can be found, and I also work in IT so I've probably got the right mindset for hunting down snippets of information and stitching them together. Researching ancestors from Ireland is a bit of a challenge because of missing records, however I'm continually impressed by how much other information is constantly being made available due to the efforts of individuals finding it for their own purposes, then sharing it via the Internet.

I'm also Robert Linden's nephew, so I have a hard act to follow! This forum though gives us all the opportunity to contribute to a body of information about Warrenpoint and the surrounding areas which will hopefully be available for future generations, and if I can help to build that then that's just fine by me. :D

If you would like to send me some ancestor details I'd be happy to have a look for you - but can't necessarily promise success. :|

Best Regards
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:56 pm 

Ooooooh I mite just do that Jim :D have got so far and then got a bit stuck. I know Robert and Deirdre very well...lovely people :friends:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:54 pm 

hi jim, peter blanche here ,sorry for the delay in replying to your posting but my computer has had a nasty virus
which i have only just managed to purge.however in response to the information you found via the 1881 census and
the 1901 census regarding elizabeth and michael ohare,they are indeed my great grandparents and elizabeth,their
daughter was my grandmother.i have seen these entries in the 1881 and 1901 census but i would like at this point
to say a very special thankyou for your time and effort in looking up the above mentioned entries.
my next task is hopefully to contact st peters church warrenpoint for a copy of an old baptismal certificate which
states that my greatgrandmother elizabeth ohare [maiden name mcveigh]of john mcveigh and elizabeth mckiverigan
was baptized here on 15th february 1837. this old baptismal certificate is a copy which i presume my grandmother
needed for some reason obtained in 1908. furthermore the name mckiverigan may not be accurate has the
certificate is a copy of a copy which is very faded and torn in places . i will send a copy of the certificate to the
secratery of st peters and probably for a fee he may be able to issue me with a newer copy.if i can get this little problem sorted it may help me get further back in time to ancesters in the warrenpoint area.once again jim your effort and input is greatly appreciated.thanks...........peter blanche.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:12 am 

Hello Peter
I was directed to your posts 0f 2008 and hope very much that you will be notified of this message. It seems that we may be connected via Michael O'Hare and Elizabeth McVey. They were my husband's Great Grandparents. I suggest there is a Liverpool connection. Please reply so that I can tell you more.