oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:56 pm 

Searching for info on my Great Grandmother... Does anyone have any information or pics (current or old) re Ash Grove Cottage, Killowen Road (Ballyneddan?) from 1900's - 1940's or information on Catherine (possibly Kitty/Kate/Kathleen) Reilly/O'Reilly?? Maiden name Fleming and married to Thomas Reilly/O'Reilly.
Flemings lived in Ballyneddan area and O'Reilly's were Ballyedmond.
Be grateful for any info or links regarding either but mostly interested in pics of the cottage.
Many Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:50 pm 

Hi lbeatt

The Ireland Census contains some Flemings at Ballyneddan, but none which fit the bill, however the 1911 Census contains a Kathleen Fleming aged 2, living at 20 High Street, Newry with her parents Matthew and Catherine and siblings Margaret (6) and John (4) - see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Newry_North_Urban/High_Street/255978/. Her parents at this time had been married for 4 years and had three children living. Is this your Great Grandmother? If not please supply a birth year and I'll be happy to have another look.

Regards
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:25 pm 

Hi Jim, Many Thanks for your response, I’d almost given up on one :-(
I assume the Flemings at Ballyneddan you refer to are Margaret & William from 1911 census (aged 71 and 69)? I have that info and believe this to be my GG Grandparents (my ‘Kate’s’ parents) but in 1901 census the ages are listed as 46 & 45, a bit confusing (perhaps a typo? I’ve had a few of these…), so I don’t think the ones you mention in Newry are connected but will put that info on back burner just in case there’s a connection. The ‘Kate’ in question is listed in 1911 census at Ballyedmond as Catherine, age 30, which would be correct as birth date I have is 5th April 1881 in Rostrevor, I believe she died 6 May 1947 in Newry, if you have found any further information that would be great.
I found this forum in a search so joined and originally posted in the hope of finding someone local who may have info or a photo of the house but looks like there’s no-one from Rostrevor in this forum!
Thanks again for the info and if you need anything further then let me know, I’ve had a very quick look at one of your posts, you seem to have quite a knowledge of the area, what’s your connection? When I get time I must wade through your posts in case there is something that may be relevant.
Thanks again,
Les

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:00 pm 

There is a Facebook page called Old Rostrevor - it might be worthwhile putting a request on that page?