oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:07 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for ancestors and relatives/descendants of Samuel Keown born 1842 Waring Point, Down, Northern Ireland born to Alexander Keown and Anne McKibbon. Jane Webb was Samuel Keown's second wife going by the information on the death certificate provided by William Alexander Keown, his son and also by the copy of the marriage certificate I have obtained. Samuel, a widower, married Jane Webb in Townsville, North Queensland, Australia on 4 Nov 1878. He was an Engineer aged 36yrs and Jane Webb, aged 20yrs, a servant born in Leeds, York, England to Joseph Webb and Jane Hazeley. I would like to obtain records of Samuel Keown's first marriage and if there were any children born from that marriage. Samuel Keown did travel extensively as he was a fireman/engineer on sea going vessels.

I believe Alexander Keown and Henry Keown to be related due to the Ulster Covenant - Freehold records of tenure as they have purchased tenure at the same time with a Bishop of O???burgh? from Landlords, the Hon. Edward Ward, the Rt. Hon Sir John Parnell, The Committees of Lord Viscount of Bangor, a Lunatic registered in 1824 Downpatrick for abodes in Castlemahon. There are also records of them both residing in East Street I believe at numbers 17 & 19 in Warrenpoint. I would love to get records of Alexander Keown and Anne McKibbon's marriage, births and deaths. I am wondering how many siblings did Samuel Keown have and did Alexander Keown marry twice?

I would like to gather this information as quickly as I can for our mother as she is now 81 yrs of age and she would like to know her Irish family history before she leaves this earth. So many Keown's and not enough time and historical records available online as the census records were destroyed over the timeframe I am looking for. Hopefully I can obtain the contact information from someone to further our research or get guidance on who to contact to ask and where to look to get copies of documents relating to our family history. I would love to know if we have any living descendants from Alexander Keown in the event my sister and I visit Northern Ireland. We would also be happy to provide any information to relatives in Northern Ireland that are linked to us if they request it.

Thanking you in advance for taking the time to read this. I hope someone out there can assist me!

Warm regards

Sonja
Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I did a quick search on the forum and if you follow this link its shows the results, now there are some there relating to the McKeown family as the search engine picks them up as well but they may be some help as there does seem to have been a Keown family here for some years, as to if there is a connection I am not sure but maybe somebody else can help.

search.php?keywords=Keown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:27 am 

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the quick response. I started searching on geni this morning and found a Alexander Keown, widower, who died 10 May 1894 aged 74 yrs, registration district Newry, sub-district Warrenpoint. I also found a Anne Keown who died 15 May 1891 aged 60 yrs, married, registration district Newry, sub-district Warrenpoint. I have requested a full copy of their death certificates to see if they are the correct relatives. I hope it lists their parents and children on the documents like our records here in Australia. Are there cemetery records available for Warrenpoint or a contact that I could follow this up with? It would be great if I could get photographs of the graves if they are family ancestors.

I still haven't been able to find the birth record for their son Samuel Keown born Waringstown. My great grandmother Ellen Forman married William Alexander Keown. William and Alexander seem to be the common name threads.

Thanks again and I find your website a truly good read. The historical photographs are terrific. Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Sonja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've put together a list of all the local church contact details as best I can here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12014&p=103683#p103683

Hopefully that should help although it does need updated but you might get something from it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:29 pm 

I would suggest that you try and make contact with Mourne Presbyterian Church Kilkeel.
Not sure if they have a website or contact details.
There are a lot of people called Keown in this area.
It is possible that they may have originally been from the Warrenpoint area and moved 12-15 miles.
Wishing you every success.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They do have a site

http://mournepc.org

:D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:47 pm 

I remember being sent up to buy buttermilk and country butter of a man called John Keown. He lived on the Clonallon Road, I think a Mrs Devlin bought his cottage. This would have been in the 1950's. He was an elderly man then.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:09 am 

Brian and Jacana,

Thank you both for your input. On the copy of the death records online for Anne and Alexander Keown the address was Post Office Street, Warrenpoint. There was also a Daniel Keown that died at the same address maybe a son of Anne and Alexander making him Samuel's brother or close relative??? John Keown may be a relative but I won't know until I have more concrete evidence. Alexander and Henry Keown had land tenure around 1796 under the Ulster Covenant.

I will follow up with some research via the link you gave me Brian for the Presbyterian Church. Samuel's death record shows his place of birth as Waringstown is that what Warrenpoint used to be called years ago or is it a place nearby?

Unfortunately for me Keown is a common name Brian as you stated but I am not giving up yet.

Cheers

Sonja Dyke
Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Warrenpoint was called Warring's Point originally and Waringstown is a village about 27 miles from here near Craigavon in Co Armagh and in local terms would have been another world away back in the 1800's - Post Office Street is now called Mary Street and can be viewed (as can most of Warrenpoint) on Google Earth and Street View here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.099834,-6.253343,3a,75y,115.96h,83.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdb1mSWi2tzrmfw0uPCZyuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Alexander and Henry Keown are listed in Griffiths Valuation of Ireland as having an address in East street and you can view the records of that for free here (just type Keown and Warrenpoint)

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

East street back then took in parts of what is now Summer hill and it's pretty difficult to work out the numbers in today's layout - having said that it can only really be two possible locations but number 17 and 19 would probably be on the same side of the street (going by previous census records) and might be around the left hand side of this street view

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.101475,-6.251427,3a,75y,276.76h,81.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svVfmkhBduTpvckIEa-iWHQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Actual numbers can be worked out after cross referencing names against known address locations with census records but that is something best left for a rainy day as it takes a fair bit of time :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:56 am 

Brian

You are a font of information. I like it!

Samuel's wife Jane Webb, her father was Joseph Webb and he married a Jane Hazeley (Hasley). I found a Joseph Webb age 22yrs who married Jane Hasley age 20 yrs on 3 May 1850 at the Craigavon Registrar's Office so that looks like it may tie in even though Jane Webb had on the marriage certificate when she married Samuel in Townsville, Queensland, Australia she was born in Leeds, Yorkshire, England. I was just thinking maybe I have focused too much on the Warrenppoint area trying to trace Samuel Keown's birth.

The other two websites you gave me I have already been researching. I was on google maps looking at Warrenpoint when you must have been authoring your last comment to me. Great minds think alike :D

Sonja

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:04 pm 

Hi Sonja

Given the relative urgency you mentioned in your first post I decided to do some research and will post the results soonest. There were as you say a lot of Keowns around Warrenpoint at one time, however I think Samuel's family lived and worked in the Dromore area above the town.

Regards
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:54 pm 

Hi Silvery Fox

I am very appreciative of your offer to help me and can't wait to see what you may find out! ;)

Good luck and I await your reply in due course.

Sonja

PS: I received my copies of Alexander Keown and Anne Keown's death certificates in the mail today. I hope they were Samuel's parents.

Alexander Keown died 10 May 1894 at Post Office St. Warrenpoint from senile decay age 74 yrs, a widower and labourer with Jane Keown of Post Office St. Warrenpoint present at the time of his death.

Anne Keown died 15 May 1891 from hepatitis aged 60 yrs, married and a labourer's wife with Annie Keown, daughter in law of Cenan?? St. Newry present at the time of her death.

I am gathering Alexander and Anne Keown would be buried in Warrenpoints town cemetery? I would need a marriage record to confirm if Anne's maiden name was McKibbon as noted on Samuel's death certificate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:36 pm 

Aussie_Keown_Line wrote:
Alexander Keown died 10 May 1894 at Post Office St. Warrenpoint from senile decay age 74 yrs, a widower and labourer with Jane Keown of Post Office St. Warrenpoint present at the time of his death.

Anne Keown died 15 May 1891 from hepatitis aged 60 yrs, married and a labourer's wife with Annie Keown, daughter in law of Cenan?? St. Newry present at the time of her death.

I am gathering Alexander and Anne Keown would be buried in Warrenpoints town cemetery? I would need a marriage record to confirm if Anne's maiden name was McKibbon as noted on Samuel's death certificate.

Hi Sonja

The Jane Keown of Post Office Street present at Alexander's death appears in the 1901 Census as a single occupant aged 40, birthplace County Armagh and married. In the 1911 Census she is reported as a 50 year old widowed charwoman, birthplace County Armagh. She died on 8 Feb 1916, and her Death Certificate records an age of 62 and that she was the widow of a seaman.

On Annie who died in 1891, I agree she is the only Annie Keown who died before Alexander, however there is a problem - if her age at death is correct she would have been aged around 11 years old when Samuel was born. The daughter in Law present at death was Annie Keown of 13 Cowan Street, Newry. In the 1901 Census she is living there with two daughters, Ann Jane Scott Keown and Margaret "Maggie" Keown, plus a number of Ann Jane's children. This Annie of Cowan Street was born Anna Maria King abt 1853, and married Alexander Keown, a coachman of New Bridge Street, Downpatrick at Loughinisland on 26 Jun 1875. Alexander's father was also Alexander, a farmer.

I'm just going to assume however that the Annie who died in 1891 was Alexander's wife, partly because I can't find any others who pre-deceased him!

The Keowns would have been buried in the Church of Ireland Parish graveyard at Clonallon. One of the forum members (Northbrook) has a collection of gravestone photographs and I've PM'd him to ask if he has any of Keowns. I should be able to post results in the next several days. I've PM'd you my email address as I'll have some files to send you.

Best Regards
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:40 pm 

Sonja

I've completed the work and sent you the results. I found five candidates to be siblings of your ancestor Samuel Keown, in the sense that their Birth or Marriage Certificates recorded Alexander Keown, a farmer of Warrenpoint as father.

While all may be siblings, only one family uses the same forenames as those used by your ancestor Samuel and his wife Jane Webb, (William Alexander, Samuel and Florence) that of William Keown (1849-1906) and his wife Ellen Blythe. They had a son Samuel, and their son Aleaxander had a son William Alexander Keown. There is also a Death Record for a Florence Keown, who died in 1884 aged 4 at 13 Cowan Street, Newry, with her Aunt Annie Keown (nee Anna Maria King - see previous post above) in attendance. Unfortunately, however, no Birth Certificate for Florence has been found.

William and Ellen had seven children; I found marriages for four them, all in Lancashire. I've also made contact with a descendant of this family via the Internet - will send you details.

In terms of further clarifying the links between the Keown families, garvestone photographs from Clonallon would probably reveal more information - at least two of the families had family plots there. Also, the I understand the Clonallon Parish Registers are held locally.

Best Regards
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:24 pm 

Jim,

You're a star. :genius: in fact. I did see several of the documents/facts in my research but was a bit confused. Samuel Keown was married twice as per his marriage certificate and death certificate. Would the Clonallon cemetery records be Church of Ireland for the Keown family and pardon my ignorance is that denomination still in existence?

I hope some locals read your post and help with further evidence.

:thank you: :thank you: :thank you:

Kindest regards

Sonja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:04 pm 

Sonja

No problem. I'm afraid I didn't find a first marriage for Samuel. I understand that the Church of Ireland is still active. :D I've checked the status of the church records - they are marked as "under Local Custody" (see the PRONI Guide to Church records in PDF form at http://www.proni.gov.uk/guide_to_church_records.pdf), and comprise Baptisms (1884- ), Marriages (1845- ), Burials (1884- ), Vestry Minutes (1806- ), Churchwardens Accounts (1806-1845, 1862-1909, Registers of Vestrymen (1873- ), Preachers Books (1862-1875, 1917- ). This is surprising as a number of the baptism and marriage records I've found are clearly marked as being from ceremonies held in Warrenpoint Church of Ireland.

For contacting the church Brian has posted the telephone number above, however if you prefere to make contact by post the Minister's name and the church address are on the Church of Ireland website (see http://ireland.anglican.org/information/dioceses/parish/12360). If you do decide to contact the Church and in the process are able to find out to what extent their local records are already available online that would be of immense help to future researchers.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:03 pm 

Just a little note to say our rector (C of I) is currently on holiday, in case you're phoning and don't get a reply.....he's due back in about a fortnight.........

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:07 am 

Hi Jim

Yes I have printed out the relevant pages from the pdf the other night when I was researching for the church. So we are on the same track. ;)

Thanks for the links. I will send them to my sister she may like to view them.

Sonja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 am 

greengreengrass

Thanks for the update in regards to the rector's whereabouts. Much appreciated. :thank you:

Sonja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:17 pm 

silveryfox Jim,

Have you had any success yet with a reply from the descendant you have contacted regarding the possible family link?

Cheers

Sonja

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:13 am 

Hi Sonja

I've now had a response and have emailed you the contact details.

Regards
Jim