Accident on Rostrevor Road, 1942

Looking for information on family members from the past generations? Maybe we can help.
Philip

Accident on Rostrevor Road, 1942

#1 Post by Philip » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 am

I wonder if anyone in Warrenpoint has a long enough memory to be able to tell me anything about a fatal accident that occurred on Rostrevor Road on 4th December 1942? My dad's first-cousin Ernest Leslie PINDER came off his motorcycle, and according to the death certificate he suffered head injuries from which he later died in hospital. Apparently there was an inquest in Belfast on 16th December, but that is the limit of my knowledge. Any additional details, however small, would be much appreciated.

Philip Holmes

dukestreet

Re: Accident on Rostrevor Road, 1942

#2 Post by dukestreet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi Phillip was your father's cousin a serving soldier or a civilian, I seem to remember coming across a report of a similar tragedy where a young soldier was involved in a fatal accident on the Rostrevor Road during WW2. I will try and find something relating to this tragic accident, if I can.

StLouisGuy

#3 Post by StLouisGuy » Thu May 01, 2014 5:53 am

I recall hearing stories of dispatch riders on motorcycles being injured while in convoys on local roads. This may be your Ernest http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... T%20LESLIE

StLouisGuy

#4 Post by StLouisGuy » Thu May 01, 2014 7:24 am

Philip

#5 Post by Philip » Thu May 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Thank you to those who have replied so promptly.

Yes, Ernest was serving in the Army at the time of the accident, although I do not know whether he was a dispatch rider, or whether the accident had anything to do with his military service. That is something I would like to find out. The death certificate stated he was "late of Warrenpoint" which suggests he was living there, although no address was given. His unit, the South Staffordshire Regiment, was in Ireland from October 1941 to February 1943 for what are referred to as "field exercises", but the best information I have been able to find suggests that these were taking place somewhere near Dungannon, so I can't think of any obvious reason why he was in Warrenpoint.

Philip

Return to “The family genealogy and ancestry section”