oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:50 pm 

All

I'd been doing some work on a family tree file to try to answer Khite's query elsewhere on the Forum; I don't think I've really succeeded however it struck me that the file may be of use to other Forum members from McGivern and associated families. Brian has very kindly agreed to host the files, which are available for view/download at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u22384ehf3j7oji/2Rx8M1wI4G.

The rest of this post is supplementary information about the files, of which there are two:

McGiverns of Grinan and Warrenpoint.GED This is the main family tree file in GEDCOM format, designed for import into family tree software - if you open it you'll just see a confusing load of text with tags. If you have family tree software I suggest you import it into a separate file, then transfer any relevant records to your main tree file.

McGiverns of Grinan and Warrenpoint.PDF This file is in Adobe Acrobat format and will be more relevant to most members. It contains all records from the GEDCOM file and in addition has indexes at the back for Occupations, Places, Dates, Anniversaries, and Individuals - entries in these indexes are clickable, taking you to the relevant individual's record. There is also a Sources list, showing where the information for each record was obtained.

Coverage
The file contains records for 372 individuals and 122 families. Records in the file relate to individuals from Greenan or the County Down side of Newry (recorded as Newry, County Down as opposed to Newry, County Armagh), and Warrenpoint, with a couple of records thrown in from Rathfriland and Annaghclone. There are also a couple from Rostrevor, however the file doesn't provide coverage from Rostrevor, Kilbroney or Kilkeel. It covers McGiverns and McGivernans but doesn't specifically include McGoverns (of which there were some in Greenan).

Surnames in the file of Families Associated with McGiverns

These are Berry, Brown, Burns, Byrne, Campbell, Carr, Cassidy, Cole, Colgan, Collins, Connell, Connolly, Daugherty, Delahunt, Devine, Donnelly, Duffy, Dunne, Feeley, Fitzpatrick, Fitzsimmons, Flynn, Gallagher, Gavin, Grant, Griiffin, Hacker, Heaney, Hughes, Kielty, Lavelle, Maginnis, Mahon, Mahoney, Mape, McAleavey, McaLinden, McAnulty, McAteer, McCartan, McClory, McConville, McDermott, McFarland, McGee, McGovern, McGuigan, McIntee, McKernan, McKevitt, McManus, McQuoid, McVeigh, Meachan, Middleton, Mooney, Morgan, Mulholland, Mulligan, O'Hagan, O'Kane, O'Neill, O'Prey, Quinn, Reynolds, Rooney, Savage, Smith, Supple, Thompson, Trainor, Watt and White.

Information Sources Sources for individual records concern Census and Birth, Death and Marriage (BMD) information - these validate that whatever event they relate to took place. Some of the sources are:

Ireland Census 1901 and/or 1911
RosDavies Surnames online website
EmeraldAncestors - a commercial (paid) site containing transcriptions of Church and Civil BMD information, mainly for Northern Ireland
RootsIreland.ie - a commercial (paid) site containing transcriptions of Church and Civil BMD information for all Ireland
FamilySearch - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) online website
Ancestry - a commercial subscription website containing record collections, e.g. Ireland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911

Where a record has no sources the information has been retrieved from Public Family Trees which are hosted on the Ancestry website.

I hope you find the files useful and am happy to answer any queries.

Jim