oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Patrick Grant
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:37 pm 

Hi, trying to track down my 3rd great grandfather Patrick Grant. He was born around 1818 and married Mary Cull (listed sometimes as Crull) in about 1830. I've found a burial record for a Patrick Grant, died 1887 and buried in Burren cemetery. Could any kind soul who goes past that way check to see if there are any other details on the stone that could confirm/disprove that the is my Patrick? Only other facts I know is that he had a daughter Catherine in 1833 and that Catherine married Patrick Connoly around 1860.

Many thanks in advance.

Mari

Post subject: Re: Patrick Grant
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:57 pm 

Hi Mari

This is a bit of an old post, however a Patrick Grant, a grocer, died on 23 Sep 1887 at his residence in 77 Boat Street, Newry from "probably" Brights Disease, which he had been suffering from for 2 years. His widow Mary made her mark as being present at his death. The Death Certificate was signed by the Registrar, Francis Clements Crossle.

Looking at the 1901 Ireland Census for Grants in Boat Street, we find:
Mary Grant aged 80, a widow, the Head of the Family and a grocer, speaks both English and Irish, birthplace County Down
Elizabeth Grant, her daughter aged 38, also a grocer, single and speaks English, birthplace County Down
Minna E Grant, her niece aged 19, single and a scholar, speaks English, birthplace County Down

In the 1911 Ireland Census for Boat Street in Newry there is:
Elizabeth Grant, Head of the Family aged 50, a grocer, single and speaks English, birthplace County Down
Mary Elizabeth Grant, recorded as her niece aged 33, single, no occupation recorded, speaks English, birthplace County Down

A Mary Grant died in Newry on 3 Jan 1902 aged 81.

I haven't been able to find a Church Baptism Record for Elizabeth online.

Mary Elizabeth Grant was baptised on 15 Feb 1878 in Newry, parents were Charles and Catherine Grant, sponsors were Daniel and Mary O'Hare.

Charles Grant, a Dealer of Newry, married Catherine Grant of Newry on 29 Jan 1877 at Newry RC Church. Witnesses were Patrick Grant and Catherine Keenan. Parents were [for Charles] James Grant, a Dealer, and [for Catherine], Patrick Grant, a Merchant. Officiating Priest was Father Bernard O'Hagan

There is a Church Baptism Record for Catherine Grant, baptised 23 Jun 1833 in Clonallon RC Parish, parents Patrick Grant and Mary CULL, sponsors Daniel McAlinden and Catherine Hilen.

There is also a Church Baptism Record for a Patrick Grant, baptised 21 Mar 1830 in Clonallon RC Parish, parents Patrick Grant and Mary CULL, sponsors Patrick COIL and Elizabeth Rooney.

HTH
Jim