oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:44 pm 

Hi all. I'm looking for more information on my great-great grandfather Henry McCorrmick & his family from Warrenpoint. Here's what I have so far:

The birth record of his daughter, my great grandmother Maria McCormick, says she was born in Clonallon Parish in 1863 to Henry McCormick & Catherine Loss. I found Maria's 1888 marriage record and it confirms her father was Henry McCormick and says he was a sea captain. I found her with her husband (Patrick Greenan) & family in the 1901 UK census (they moved to Frizington), which says she was born in Warrenpoint, so I'm pretty sure I'm looking in the right area now. I found a Henry McCormick, age 74, widower and sea captain, living at 40 Newry Street in the 1901 census for Warrenpoint. He's not found in the 1911 census, so I guessing he passed away by then.

The family lore is that Maria was an orphan, that her father was a ship's captain, and all her brothers died at sea. She supposedly grew up in a convent, and later worker as a servant in a "big house" before she married my great grandfather. I'm guessing that she wasn't quite an orphan, but that she was schooled in a convent for girls, that possibly her mother died young, and her father was at sea most of the time. (My grandfather wanted to go to sea, but because his mother Maria lost all her brothers that way, she refused to let him go, so he went to work in the mines in England, but spent his summers working the Greenan farm in Cabra as well as delivering mail there. He eventually came to the US to work the mines here).

So I'm interested in anything anyone knows of the McCormicks of Newry Street. I found several children born to a Henry McCormick & both Catherine Loss & Catherine Collins in Clonallon - John Henry, James, Patrick Henry & Francis Small McCormick. I visited County Down 2 years ago (dream come true!) and met cousins on my grandfather's side in Kilcoo (My great great grandfather was a Greenan, and we're cousins to the Morgans of Rostrevor & the Greenans of Kilcoo). I visited the graveyards there, and found lots of family links. But I didn't have anything yet on the McCormicks, and didn't know about the Warrenpoint connection. So I'm hoping for a return trip someday to follow up. Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:35 pm 

Hi ShiningThrough

Welcome to the forum!

At http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Mc/McCormick.htm there is a record for Henry, husband to Catherine Collins and father to Catherine McCormick, born 5 Dec 1867. Other Warrenpoint McCormicks also on that page are:

Margaret McCormick - wife of Patrick Ward; mother of Elizabeth bpt. 28 Mar 1843 (sponsors Thomas Gribbins & Brudget Burns) at Warrenpoint Catholic Church

Catherine McCormick - wife of John Connelly; mother of Catherine Rose b. 1868 & Patrick b. 1870 & Catherine Theresa b. 1872

Robert McCormick - a carpenter in Warrenpoint in 1824

Rose McCormick - sponsor at the baptism of Margaret, daughter of Bradley Ward 27 Sep 1829 at Warrenpoint Catholic Church

On the same site searching under surname Collins gives (see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/C/Collins.htm):

Catherine Collins - wife of Henry McCormick ; mother of Francis b. 1870

Other Warrenpoint Collin's on the same page are:

Alice Collins - married J ..... 28 Jan 1838 at Warrenpoint Catholic Church; witnesses were Patrick Burns & Daniel Ward

Anne Theresa Collins - daughter of William Collins; married Allen Edmand Douglas 4 Jun 1867 ; mother of Mary Emily b. 1869

Jane Collins - wife of John Miller; mother of Augustus b. 1869

Margaret Collins - wife of James Duffy ; mother of Mathew Michael b. 1872

Mary Collins - wife of Paul McVeigh; mother of John b. 1871 & Peter b. 1874

J.H. Collins - local M.P.; attended opening of extended Catholic Church 13 Sep 1931

Suggest you also check http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/M/MorganAJ.htm - search in page for McCormick

If you check http://countydown.x10.mx/html/mourne7.htm you will find a birth record for Patrick Connolly in Warrenpoint:

Connolly, Patrick Birth
Birth Date: 17 Aug 1870, Warrenpoint,
Father: John Connolly
Mother: Catherine McCormick

Some McCormick marriages in Warrenpoint RC Church:

Peter McCormick married Anne Doherty on 16 Oct 1864
Patrick McCormick married Catherine Hannigan on 19 Feb 1878

For Greenans see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/G/Gre.htm. Note there is a school photo at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/WORDS/SchoolClassPhotos.htm - search the page for Greenan.

HTH

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 am 

Hi Jim & thanks for all that great information! I really appreciate it. I looked at the Ros Davies site a long time ago when I first started searching for other relatives, but haven't been back there in a while, so thanks for reminding me!

I was really happy to have found this forum when I discovered my McCormick - Warrenpoint connection, because it's one of the family areas I've hit a brickwall on. I hoped to ultimately get more info on Henry & his sons, like where they were buried.

I have a great deal of info on my Greenan ancestors, but thanks for the other links as well.

Thanks again!

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:31 pm 

I have just read a message from Shining Through and a reply from Jim. Shining Through was asking about the McCormick family in Warrenpoint. My name is Francis B McCormack,living in Dublin, but from Cork. My father's name was Henry Hunter and he was born in Warrenpoint in 1902.His parents were Francis McCormick and Bridget Carvill and the sponsors at his baptism in St Peter's Warrenpoint were- Luke Carr and Lucy Hunter. I would be very interested in being put in touch with Shining Through and comparing notes as some of the names he mentioned seemed to be my grandparents and great grandparents.Can this be arranged?
My present e-mail address is brianmcc29@eircom.net
Hoping to hear from somebody soon,brian.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:15 pm 

Hi Brian
welcome aboard the forum.
Had wondered about this too.
Did ye get the photocopies I sent?
Tried to send a PM but wouldn't take
P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:24 pm 

Hello Padraigin, I owe you a huge apology for not getting back to you sooner than this. :[ Yes I received the photocopies, thank you very much. I came across this post from Shining Through- re the McCormack family in Warrenpoint. and you must have read my reply? I didn't know this forum was available,but now I will become a regular contributer. How are you and yours. I hope everybody is well as we are all fine down here. Padraigin, I must go now and I will be away for the next 10 days but when I return I will be looking forward to returning to the forum to read all the news.
Francisb.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:37 am 

francisb wrote:
I have just read a message from Shining Through and a reply from Jim. Shining Through was asking about the McCormick family in Warrenpoint. My name is Francis B McCormack,living in Dublin, but from Cork. My father's name was Henry Hunter and he was born in Warrenpoint in 1902.His parents were Francis McCormick and Bridget Carvill and the sponsors at his baptism in St Peter's Warrenpoint were- Luke Carr and Lucy Hunter. I would be very interested in being put in touch with Shining Through and comparing notes as some of the names he mentioned seemed to be my grandparents and great grandparents.Can this be arranged?
My present e-mail address is brianmcc29@eircom.net
Hoping to hear from somebody soon,brian.

Hi Brian - I'm happy I decided to check back here yesterday, and found your message. I sent you a message at your personal email, so I'm hoping to connect and discuss the McCormick family more.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:30 pm 

jim, sorry for delay in replying but i never received your e-mail to my personal e-mail address. this was not your fault, but a slight glitch in my computer. I think I have it sorted now so if you send it again I will be happy to reply
apologies once more, francisb.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 pm 

You're back then!
Hope somewhere nice
P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 am 

francisb wrote:
jim, sorry for delay in replying but i never received your e-mail to my personal e-mail address. this was not your fault, but a slight glitch in my computer. I think I have it sorted now so if you send it again I will be happy to reply

Hi again Brian. I've re-sent an email to you.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:33 am 

francisb wrote:

Hi Brian- I've emailed you a few times, but haven't heard back. Just wondering if you're still at the same address. I was hoping to follow-up on our family history. Hope all is well.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:04 am 

francisb wrote:

Does anyone here know Brian? I've tried for some time to connect with him but have never received a reply after our initial contact here.

I have family visiting Dublin this week & would love for them to meet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim