oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:35 am 

Hi
Thank you for accepting me as a member of the forum.
I'm seeking information about the Munro family of Warrenpoint.
I'm a descendant of William Munro who was born in either Newry or Warrenpoint about 1835 or possibly 1831/32. His parents were Henry Munro and Maria Brereton (or Braydon). Henry and Maria's other children included Elizabeth (born Warrenpoint 1836) and Anna Maria (born Warrenpoint 1841) - both baptised Church of Ireland.
Henry Munro was a publican / spirit and porter dealer. He was still living in Warrenpoint in 1864. His son William came to the Australian gold diggings at some time in the 1850s. He subsequently settled in Brisbane, Queensland, and worked as a shipwright and publican. He died in Queensland in 1902, survived by his second wife and eight children.
Ros Davies' website includes details of a Miss Annie Maria Monro who died in 1895 and was buried in the Clonallan Church of Ireland graveyard. Her sister Miss Jane Munro was executor of Annie's estate. Perhaps these were daughters of Henry and Maria and therefore William Munro's sisters??
Also from Ros Davies' website - a Miss Anne Munro, Warrenpoint, daughter of Hector Munro, married Alexander McCulla(gh) in 1851. Perhaps this Hector Munro was Henry Munro's brother as the name 'Hector' occurs in the sons of William Munro??
Also from Ros Davies' website - a Miss Isabella Munro, Warrenpoint, daughter of John Munro, married George Sheldon in 1855. Perhaps this John Munro was a brother of Hector and Henry??
I would be grateful for information (or leads) that anyone could provide on the family of Henry Munro, his forebears, siblings and descendants.
With thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:18 pm 

There was a Hector Munro who lived in St. Peters St. He was a Mechanic. I think he wasn't married but lived with his sister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:36 am 

1901 census has 7 of the Monro family in Warrenpoint or in Burren (just outside Warrenpoint).

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/s ... renLiving=

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:33 pm 

Hi Munro

I suggest the following:

A digitised copy of Henry Munro's Will (dated 16 Jun 1864) is available online from the PRONI Will Calendars website (see http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx) - he died on 22 Jun 1864 and Probate was awarded on 1 Feb 1865 at Belfast to his widow Maria Munro and Robert Smith, a Merchant, both of Warrenpoint, the Executors of his estate. (NB you need to search on MUNRO as the surname). He left bequests to his son William and three daughters, including a property in Duke Street, Warrenpoint.

Others in the family can be found by using MONRO as the surname. Of particular note should be Sarah Jane Monro - William's sister, died 1897, and Robert Hector Monro (son of John who died in 1901) is also available on the same site, (this is the Robert H Munro in the 1901 Census put forward by StLouisGuy). Also John Monro of Warrenpoint who died in 1894 leaving his estate to his widow Elizabeth - check GRONI for a marriage between John Monro and Elizabeth Monro - if found this may be another of William's sisters.

If you go to the equivalent Will Calendars site for Dublin online (see http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/results.jsp?deceasedSurname=monro&deceasedForename=&beneficiarySurname=&beneficiaryForename=&placeDeath=&probateOrAdministration=&dateDay=&dateMonth=&dateYear=&search=Search&sort=&pageSize=&pager.offset=0) and look through all the records for Monros in County Down this should allow you to build up a picture of the family members.

In the Griffiths Valuation from the early 1860s Henry and John Monro each have a property in Duke Street. This leads me to a working assumption that Henry and John were certainly related and possibly brothers.

In terms of paid online sites, the General Records Office of Northern Ireland (GRONI - see https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/) website holds records of Birth (1864- ), Marriage (1845- ) and Death Certificates (1864- ). You can search on a forename+surname combination over a year range of up to 4 years for free, however this just returns the number of hits and isn't really useful. If you buy some credits, however you can search on and have displayed a digitised version of each Certificate (tip: if displaying a Certificate choose the Full version - 5 credits). For Birth Certificates you get name, birthdate, father's name, mother's forename and maiden name. For Marriage Certificates you get bride and groom names, occupations, marriage venue, father's names and occupations, and finally for Death Certificates you get death date, cause of death and who was present at death.

To go back further in time you need to go to one of the paid genealogy sites - my preferred one is RootsIreland (see https://rootsireland.ie/ifhf/subscribe.php). Subscription prices start with a pretty reasonable £8 for 24 hours access. It may be pushing it a bit to get Henry and Maria's Marriage Certificate via this site, however you may get Birth/Baptism and Marriage records for the children (Tip: when searching for marriage records for Henry or Hector's children, enter Monro (or Munro) as the surname, and Hector/Henry as the father's firstname, then choose a year and choose a 10-year time period. Use a similar approach when searching for Births/Baptisms - you can also add the mother's forename for Births/Baptisms however bear in mind this wasn't always recorded)

HTH
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:13 am 

Thanks Silveryfox for those very helpful leads on Henry Munro. I see from his will that he had two properties in Duke Street and one on The Square at the time of his death. He must have been, to some extent, quite a player in those early days of Warrenpoint's development. It's certainly piqued my interest to try to find out more.

Belated thanks also to Flyght1 and StLouisGuy for your responses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:07 am 

Munro:

Came across an ad placed in The Western Australian, 10 May 1897, advising William Monro's daughter (now Mrs. Stannard from Brisbane) to apply for Legacy to William Atkinson, Warrenpoint, Ireland.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/artic ... rchLimits=

Hope it helps some.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:24 am 

Thanks StLouisGuy for recent post. All posts seem to help some. I have made good use of the Trove website to reveal info about William Munro's activities in Australia and had seen similar ads to the one you referenced in Queensland newspapers. I had not seen the one in the Western Australian newspaper. That may be the lead that helps find info on one of William Munro's daughters whose details were proving elusive.